If you have teenagers, the word “Snapchat” has probably crossed their lips a time or two and you’ve sat there wondering, “What in the HECK is this new social media craze? I’m barely learning Facebook!”
Have no fear, I’m here to walk you through the basics!
Because without the basics, we can’t start building your business through this platform now can we?
So to make this easier, I’m going to do this FAQ style:
- What is Snapchat? I’m sure that you want to immediately say that “This is the app that my kids use to connect with their friends, and since the messages clear after 24 hours then they must be up to no good” but I’m here to tell you, you’re pretty much wrong. So what is Snapchat? It’s a dynamic social media platform and through the use of only being able to see something for 24 hours, helps to create a sense of URGENCY amongst its users.
- Why would I want this for my business? Did you miss the sense of URGENCY I just talked about? By the messages only being up for 24 hours, whatever you put up goes away (Not necessarily forever as we’ll talk about in a later post)! It’s also a great way to connect with your customer base without having the added headache of editing and publishing a video onto YouTube/Facebook/Twitter. Think of it as a more scaled down version of Periscope, but with some awesome tools and filters to help you interact with your audience more.
- So how do I “Snap”? This is pretty simple actually. It looks more daunting than it is. Follow the simple steps below and it will guide you through. (Click on the pictures to see them close up)
The last picture is where you can send your snap. You can either Send it to your story, a friend, or both. Once you decide on where to send it, another Blue Arrow like the one in the 2nd picture will pop up. Click that and my friend, you have just done your FIRST SNAP! Check you Out!
4. How do I add friends? There’s a couple of ways to add friends on Snapchat. You can add friends via your Snapcode, By Username, Via Your Address Book, or Add Nearby. I would be careful with both the address book and the Add Nearby just because you don’t want to follow anyone that you don’t know or don’t WANT to follow in some cases.
5. What is a Snapcode? Your Snapcode is like a fingerprint. See my profile picture down there with all the dots around it? That’s your Snapcode. If you have been on Facebook messenger lately then you have also seen where there is this weird design around your profile picture. Same concept. What this allows people to do is add you to their Snapchat without typing in your name! To use: Take a picture of whatever Snapcode you have, go to the add friends section, click “Add By Snapcode”, upload the picture, and you’re done! Easy Peasy! This is especially good for those usernames that are hard to remember or you just don’t have time to write them down.
6. What about those crazy filters that people have? Oh you mean the one like this? So before you take a picture, take your finger and press on the lower part of your face on the screen. That should pop up the face filters. (It might takea little bit of pressing around on the screen by the way). Please note that there are different face filters for different regions. Most of them are the same though. If you are looking for the full photo filters, just swipe right after you take a picture.
Well, those are most of the questions that I get when introducing people to Snapchat. If you are looking to use Snapchat more for your business, shoot me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Snapchat for Business” and we’ll talk!
As always, if you found value from this post, please feel free to share to those who you think might need it!